Every day, in nearly 100 countries around the world, millions of people depend on Daktronics scoring and display systems for information and entertainment. Our displays provide vital travel information in airports and train stations and along highways. They advertise the price of gas, store specials, and more as you make your daily commute. They also enhance spectators’ experiences at sporting events of all kinds, from Little League to the major leagues.
The Facilities Department supports operations at Daktronics and is responsible for facility planning, construction, maintenance, material handling, motor pool, general machine maintenance and tool repair. Our Building and Grounds/Custodial Staff is responsible for six Daktronics buildings and exterior grounds on the Brookings campus. The B&G/Custodial Supervisor position oversees that our facilities are properly kept and maintained to support daily operations and the safety of manufacturing and office personnel. The Supervisor is responsible for leading the custodial and B&G staff, as well as planning and scheduling of the cleaning and maintenance tasks required on the Brookings campus. The position reports to the Facilities Manager. Duties will include the following plus others as assigned:
- Oversee the function of the B&G/Custodial staff including work demand, equipment, supplies, and facility needs based on projected workload, and communicate goals to the staff.
- Hire staff or assist with hiring staff, coordinate training plan for new employees as well as existing employees. The supervisor will gain a thorough knowledge and can train employees on work procedures, automated equipment, and Daktronics policies and procedures.
- Ensure safety during shift. Develop and train employees in safe operating procedures of equipment. Work unsupervised safely and effectively. Must be able to follow instructions. Wear all proper protective equipment as required in work area in accordance with Daktronics Safety Policy and OSHA standards. Through Job Hazard Assessment, identification of work hazards and specific PPE’s will be required for work being completed.
- Be actively involved in lean to include 5S (Sort, Straighten, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain) and ensure adherence to lean process standards. This will include following leader standard work to ensure focus remains on running the business and improving the business. Tier meetings, reviewing scheduling/process boards, process quality, continuous improvement and visual indicators of the work, and metrics to measure performance and Key process indicators.
- Work with the leadership team to improve procedures and processes to reduce scrap and rework. Encourage employees to participate in the continuous improvement process.
- Responsible for evaluation of employee performance, motivation, and discipline of employees. The supervisor will conduct formal performance evaluations, Reflect & Plan documents and compensation summaries, and they should be timely and objective. Identify and groom future leaders within the department for positions within the division.
- Foster teamwork through effective communication to staff and other departments of the relationship between quality workmanship customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Ability to research various suppliers, consumables and equipment for use within the role. Negotiate pricing and delivery.
- Maintain good attendance and work hours necessary to complete assigned tasks. Be available to take calls and provide emergency support as needed outside of established work schedule. Ability to work split shifts as needed is required. Ability to work overtime when workload or assigned task requires.
- Represent the company and department positively and effectively in all situations.
- Assemble/tear down furniture systems, maintain and assist troubleshooting and repairs of HVAC, plumbing, electrical and mechanical systems. Work with subcontractor on scheduling of service and repairs and communicate information critical to division at a high level.
- Maintain building grounds to include snow removal and the upkeep of the grounds to include subcontractors for services required to accomplish the above tasks on the Brookings campus. Knowledge and experience of equipment operation to support the facility is preferred.