Every day, in nearly 100 countries around the world, millions of people depend on Daktronics scoring and display systems for information and entertainment. Our displays provide vital travel information in airports and train stations and along highways. They advertise the price of gas, store specials, and more as you make your daily commute. They also enhance spectators’ experiences at sporting events of all kinds, from Little League to the major leagues.
The Facilities Department supports operations at Daktronics and is responsible for facility planning, construction, maintenance, material handling, motor pool, general machine and tool repair. Our Maintenance Staff is responsible for all metal shop machines, paint delivery systems, manufacturing systems, and hand tools used in manufacturing. The Maintenance Supervisor position oversees staff and processes that support the efficient operation of equipment and tools so that our factories can remain productive and deliver products on time to our customers. The Supervisor is responsible for leading the Maintenance staff, as well as planning and scheduling of the cleaning and maintenance tasks required on the Brookings campus. The supervisor is responsible for maintaining proper spare parts inventory, managing critical breakdowns back into production, and special project work to involve new equipment or repurposed equipment within the manufacturing division. Communication within the manufacturing division is essential, both written and verbal are critical to the position and its success. The position reports to the Facilities Manager.
Duties will include the following plus others as assigned:
- Oversee the function of the Maintenance staff, including work demand, tools and equipment, supplies, and the manufacturing division’s needs in Brookings based on projected workload and goals.
- Assist with hiring new staff, and coordinate training plans for employees. The supervisor will gain a thorough knowledge all machinery and processes, and will train employees in safe work procedures, automated equipment, and Daktronics policies and procedures.
- Ensure safety during shift. Work unsupervised safely and effectively. Must be able to follow instructions. Wear all proper protective equipment as required in work area in accordance with Daktronics Safety Policy and OSHA standards. Through Job Hazard Assessment, identification of work hazards and specific PPE’s will be required for work being completed.
- Be actively involved in lean, including 5S (Sort, Straighten, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain) and ensure adherence to lean process standards. This includes following standard work to ensure focus remains on running and improving the business. Attend tier meetings, reviewing scheduling/process boards, process quality, continuous improvement, visual indicators of the work, and metrics to measure performance and key process indicators.
- Work with the leadership team and staff to improve procedures and processes to reduce maintenance rework, call backs to equipment, and unnecessary downtime for production. Encourage employees to participate in the continuous improvement process.
- Responsible for evaluating and coaching employees. This includes completing performance evaluation in a timely manner. Identify and groom future leaders within the department for positions within the division.
- Foster teamwork through effective communication to staff and other departments of the relationship between quality workmanship customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Ability to research various suppliers, consumables and equipment for use within the role. Negotiate pricing and delivery.
- Maintain good attendance and work hours necessary to complete assigned tasks. Be available to take calls and provide emergency support as needed outside of established work schedule. Ability to work split shifts as needed if required. Ability to work overtime when workload or assigned task requires.
- Represent the company and department positively and effectively in all situations.
- Work with OEM technicians and representatives on scheduling of service and repairs and communicate information critical to division at a high level.
- Knowledge and experience of equipment operation to support the manufacturing division is preferred.