** Accepting applications until 29 September 2017. **
The primary work location is Brookings, but with the flexibility to work from other locations such as Sioux Falls or Redwood Falls based upon demonstrated skill and project work.
Every day, in nearly 100 countries around the world, millions of people depend on Daktronics scoring and display systems for information and entertainment. Our displays provide vital travel information in airports and train stations and along highways. They advertise the price of gas, store specials, and more as you make your daily commute. They also enhance spectators’ experiences at sporting events of all kinds, from Little League to the major leagues.
This position is a technical role overseeing metal fabrication processes for global manufacturing operations. As a process owner, individuals will evaluate and develop current capabilities and future needs. This role will help develop a vision for equipment, tooling, software, and processes based on needs of production and the technology available in industry.
Areas of Focus
- Leading Others through Influence
- Develop the ability to act as an internal consultant in the areas of Subject Matter Expertise, specifically by leading projects and mentoring other project team members
- Manage large-scope projects either in-place in a focused factory or to impact multiple factories
- Break down projects into manageable pieces and effectively delegate to others
- Consistently provide Customer Focus by communicating via first-person methods (in person or via phone) and by going to the where the work is done (Gemba)
- Developing and Sharing Technical Expertise
- Build expertise through documentation, hands-on use, external training, and technical publications. Actively seek knowledge through other methods as necessary, including suppliers, vendors, or internal contacts.
- Consistently support escalations with the appropriate urgency as they arise
- Consistently champion for safe, stable, and documented manufacturing processes
- Sourcing / Equipment Vendor Management
- Identify capable, qualified equipment vendors
- Select equipment to meet manufacturing requirements
- Participate in or lead negotiations
- Perform business evaluations of vendor’s performance (product offering, payment, support, etc.)
- Evaluate the health and longevity of equipment to determine upgrade or replacement
- Cross-Factory Collaboration
- Foster and lead collaboration between all factories
- Create a plan for success through monthly multi-factory meetings
- Recognize relevant agenda items
- Prep for and lead/chair monthly meetings
- Capture action items and assign to appropriate resources
- General Expectations:
- Effectively work in a team environment and build collaborative relationships
- Demonstrate ability to recognize and capitalize on improvement opportunities
- Demonstrate skill in conflict resolution and leading through influence
- Travel to customer factories approximately monthly. Travel multiple times per year to perform benchmarking or attend trade shows to develop and maintain technical expertise.
Demonstrated Capabilities for Success
- Core – Competencies are critical for success: Action Oriented, Plans and Aligns, Customer Focus, Manages Conflict
- Developmental - The Process Engineer position will provide opportunities to build skill in: Communicates Effectively, Persuades, and Drives Vision and Purpose
Process engineering may own one or combination of the following:
- Metal Fabrication, such as:
- Bending and forming
- Welding and joining
- Coatings, such as:
- Powder coating
- Material handling